Four steps to apply your reflective tape
By applying your reflective tape, durability, strong adhesion and effectiveness needs to be ensured. Proper application on your vehicle, equipment and property provide maximum quality and ensure your warranty.
Step 1 — Check the Weather
APT reflective tape should be applied between 50°-100°F (10°-38°C). If the temperature is below 50°F, please heat the surface by using heating equipment such as hair dryer, heat lamps or heat gun. If the temperature is above 100°F, additional care is required to avoid pre-adhesion.
Step 2 — Get the Right Tools
Here are the tools you will need to make application:
- Scissors or utility knife with a sharp blade for cutting.
- Squeegee, roller, even your credit card to apply pressure across the surface of the reflective tape.
- Rivet tool, you can also cut around rivets.
Step 3 — Clean the Surface
For proper adhesion, clean any surface by following these four steps where you are making the application:
- Wash surfaces with detergent and water to remove dirt and dust.
- Flush washed area with plain, clean water to remove detergent. Soap film can inhibit adhesion.
- Wipe using a lint-free paper towel saturated with non-oily, quick-drying solvent, such as isopropyl alcohol, acetone.
- Immediately dry surfaces with clean, dry, lint-free paper towel before solvent evaporates completely, paying close attention to rivets, seams, and door hinge areas.
Step 4 — Apply the Tape
To apply the reflective tape:
- Remove the liner and position the reflective tape on the application surface.
- Tack down lightly to hold the tape in position.
- Use your hand to press the tape onto the application surface.
- Using your squeegee (or other applicator) press the reflective tape down using firm, overlapping strokes.
- If there are hinges, latches, or other hardware, cut the tape about ⅛ inches back to avoid buckling.
- To apply over rivets, apply the tape over the rivet using firm pressure. Leave a bridge over the rivet head. Use a rivet punch to cut the tape around the rivet. Remove the tape over the rivet head. Squeegee around the rivet.
Please visit our reflective tape product page for more detail.